Wednesday 6 July 2022

 Bordered Straw from my Heath portable trap in my garden in Oakfield, Cwmbran on the night of 29th. June 2022. Walking on the Blorenge near Keepers Pond on Sunday 3rd. July I found a full grown larva on the path. I lifted it into the grass bordering the path. I thought it would prove to be Drinker Moth or Fox Moth. Comparing my photo with that in Chris Manley's earlier edition and with the figures in my ancient copy of South's book showing moth larvae it didn't fit either Drinker or Fox Moth. A full grown Fox moth larva in Waring and Townsend is very black with orange markings and my photo showed orange "hairs" with black intersegmental divisions. The best fit is Grass Eggar and this would fit with the larval lifecycle timing. The latest Atlas of larger moths shows two records for around Gwent but these both pre 1970. Can I ask other members what they think of Grass Eggar as an ID or if they have alternative suggestions.




stions?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, oak eggar. I'm finding quite a few at Newport Wetlands these past few weeks. I found one today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin. Also confirmed by Dave Slade

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.