Tuesday 29 March 2022

New species for Penhow Woodlands

 31st August 2021

Penhow Woodlands NNR

Continuing with some sightings from last year before things really kick off in 2022.

These woodlands' or rather small wood, is a difficult one to really obtain information regarding moths with accessibility mainly and with little scope for expanding knowledge due to layout etc. However, over a few light traps and an leaf-mine search over the years, numbers of species present in this wood are slowly increasing every time I visit.

Every now and again a few surprises come my way when visiting. Tonight even though only 29 moths turned up, they were well spread over 21 species.

Two surprises were Lime-speck Pug and Feathered Gothic. Lime-speck Pug oddly I've only seen at three sites including this one, which I find strange. This maybe due to me concentrating mainly on woodlands although some of it's many foodplants are present on some rides. It's presence on county maps shows a strong southerly bias with a few other scattered records elsewhere. 

The Feathered Gothic it appears I'm more likely to see than Lime-speck Pug even though it feeds on grasses which I suppose thinking it through, line many of the rides I visit. This was site number 7 for me and I always get excited when this moth turns up with its exquisite markings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.