Sunday 22 May 2022

Moth Night 2022 at RSPB Newport Wetlands

 I put two traps out on Friday evening of 20th May, a 125W MV Robinson in the compound and  a 80W MV Robinson by the back of the visitor centre. But conditions overnight proved unfavourable due to wind and some heavy rain.

The result was a disappointing haul of 30 moths of 16 species, but did include a very smart Chocolate-tip and a couple of Obscure Wainscots.




Since the overnight conditions on Saturday looked a lot more promising I put the 80W MV Robinson out in the compound hoping for a better haul on Sunday morning.... and hey presto!  I had 99 mothsof 33 species including a very smart fresh Light Brocade, and two new species for me, Yellow Belle and Cream-bordered Green Pea... and the supporting act included 13 Poplar Hak-moths and 3 Eyed Hawk-moths which the numerous visitors appreciated.





So this is the first National Moth Night in which I have trapped all three nights, and not once in my garden.

1 comment:

  1. Great catch on the Saturday night Kevin! I think the yellow belle and cream-bordered green pea are new species for the reserve? I have never seen either before. Perfect habitat for both. Is yellow belle a Vice County first? Just a few county records for the cream-borderd green pea (one from Goldcliff).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.