Thursday 20 June 2019

3rd June

'George's Delight' Wood, Gaer-fawr


Decided on a new site tonight, to try out. This place again has undergone some transformation like my previous post at Bullyhole Bottom, with lots of trees removed.
It does not have an official name as far as I know (I could be wrong) but I have decided to name it 'George's Delight' Wood for reference purposes after the road that runs close by it.
This was another fairly quiet place to run a trap with 60 moths of 26 species attracted to the light source this evening.
I have run in this tetrad before at a nearby location but today was a new time of year providing several new species to this square I believe.
A well marked Dwarf Pug (actually sighted in this square before) had me questioning what I had before me for a time as another moth in the form of Grey Arches, both were quite unexpected and not what I see too often when I'm out around woodland habitats.

Dwarf Pug (above) and Grey Arches (below) in excellent condition

Yet another Fox Moth female turned up for me tonight, the 3rd in 12 days! My timing must have been spot-on with the last three traps with three females flying in and all laying eggs.

Fox Moth

It was disappointing number on the micro front with just 2 species.
11 Scoparia ambigualis dropped in just before a lovely new micro dropped in to avert my eye away from proceedings. This was probably one of the highlights for me being a new species.
I've worked out that it is Epinotia bilunana (correct me if I'm wrong), which feeds on Birch trees.
This is a nice addition to my photographic collection.

Epinotia bilunana (Crescent Bell)

Why I have not found this guy before with the sites I trap at is a mystery, for it is supposedly common and widespread. It really should be turning up with a little more frequency I would have thought, unless it has objections to the smell of my coffee of an evening?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.