Thursday 20 June 2019

31st May

Coatgae, Bullyhole Bottom


A few may snigger over this site but forget the name, it is not as bad as it sounds!
This place though has undergone a fair amount of tree removal over the last few years with some open areas created. There is not a great deal here to speak of here overall habitat wise, so when nothing turned up at the light for the first 20-25 minutes I nearly accepted I had made a mistake setting up here.
Still, I was surprised with the turn out by the finish, in that 34 species arrived gradually over the evening hours crossing over midnight into the following day.

Many were common species nationally with a nice Small Yellow Wave, Small Angle Shades, and to my unexpected surprise a second ever adult Fox Moth following on from my first a week ago.


Two other very nice macro surprises were a Satin Lutestring (above) and a Small Seraphim (below).


Satin Lutestring appears at quite few woods I visit but I really did not expect one here given the habitat. Small Seraphim seems to be quite elusive for me and appears around once a year if I'm lucky so a pleasing find in this small tetrad.


A nice little Black-headed Conch (Cochylis atricapitana) arrived, again something I don't see a great deal of too often. Overall not a disappointment at all despite the name, fairly productive.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Nick, it's a Small Seraphim rather than Seraphim.

    Cheers
    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George, I had it down on my moth sheet as Small Seraphim but did not apply it to the blog post, corrected now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.