Saturday 31 October 2020

Amplification?

 Had it not been GMS night, I wouldn’t have put my trap out in the middle of Storm Aidan. But I’m glad I did. This moth took me a while to find in the book – from some angles I was even wondering if it was one of those giant micros – but once I found the right page it’s obvious: The Streak, another heathland/moorland species. 

 


Since we’ve had a few of those (including a Silurian!) land in our non-moorland garden I’m starting to wonder whether our position at a slight pinch point in the Gavenny valley might work like a giant Heligoland trap, concentrating the flow of moths blown down from the hills. 

Note to self: remember to put the trap out when the wind is forecast in the South-West quadrant.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Andrew.
    I have only recently come into contact with this moth after a few years trying to locate it.
    I indeed did have the same issue as you where I had a lot of trouble matching it in the book.
    When they are actively arriving at the trap it's worse, for they have a wide wing base or appear to look like a type of 'Carpet' moth when settling down. It's only when they close up and tuck their wings in that you can match it to the book.
    Broom-tip is simular too until you get your eye in.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.