Tuesday 29 September 2020

Dingestow Nonpareil at last

20 years ago I would have laughed at the idea of a Clifden Nonpareil appearing at Dingestow, but over the last couple of years it has seemed an inevitability. The species has (re)colonised Britain since c2010, and more and more Gwent moth'ers have seen this spectacular moth, especially in 2020. I shared their excitement, but secretly felt a bit miffed each time Hazel, Wendy or Ian posted a photo of yet another Nonpareil from their garden.

I almost didn't trap on the night of 28th September, because of a heavy cold (thanks kids), but an email from Ian Rabjohns shortly after dusk made me set the MV just in case. Actually seeing a Clifden Nonpareil in the trap at 06:30 this morning was just as thrilling as I had anticipated. Whatever next?!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that really is an amazing moth. Is there a trick to getting them to show their underwings for the camera? I tried with my last red u/w and just persuaded it to fly away :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful moth and exceptionally large. The pictures don't quite do it justice for size I find, because it's deceptively big when you have it flapping around in front of you!
    It's interesting that it gets repeatively recorded at a few sites.
    Could be the moth'er is trapping every night not allowing the moth to escape the light to find a mate.
    I think an interesting project to undertake would be to fit a tracking device or to simply paint a dot on abdomen or wing to see if it's the same one that comes back to site.
    Andrew, suggest you cover over the moth completly with a bowl or large pot and tickle it gently with a feather, I find this works and keeps your moth from launching into airspace.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.