Thursday 23 April 2020

Black Arches and Frosted Green new to home site

April at Chepstow

Adverse Virus restrictions prove positive


3 completely New Species have turned up at the site this April so far which did surprise me.
Admittedly I have not properly trapped regularly at home for some years, 2014/2015 was really the time that I seriously looked at what I had here. I conducted the odd sporadic trap session since but it's quite likely there will more to encounter hopefully.
It's pretty much urban where I am, although there is a small wooded area nearby and the River Wye and Severn Estuary are not a 'stone's throw' away admittedly which could bring in more interesting species.
The three moths that turned up, I had down as more predominantly woodland species than urban because I've frequently found them in and about woodlands habitats.
The wind direction could have been favourable those evenings perhaps or it's just timing or setting up the trap on site a few more times than I would have in the past due to the current Virus restrictions.


The generally more frequently found, March Moth turned up on the 10th April.


A localised Least Black Arches then arrived on 15th April.


Found hiding under the ground sheet was this fabulous Frosted Green on the 16th April.

Ultimately, one could say the restrictions have proved positive for me because trapping at home has added to my/our knowledgebase to this square around Chepstow.
From the negative, there always is a positive side I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.