Saturday 18 April 2020

Covid restrictions help with local butterfly survey

184 April Butterflies


With the lockdown in place I thought I would cover spring butterflies at a local level, and in addition, around and about my work vicinity.

From the 1st to the 15th of this month I was surprised of the numbers that I achieved.


I came up with 184 butterflies, covering 11 species at 46 mini sites. Some of these sites would cover the same small 2km tetrad I might add.


Some of the places I visited on foot I had completely forgotten about over the years so it was nice to rediscover them once more.  


The totals included:
Peacock- 79
Comma- 14
Small Tortoiseshell- 18
Small White- 9
Speckled Wood- 7
Brimstone- 5
Holly Blue- 11
Green-veined White- 12
Large White- 4
Red Admiral- 1
Orange-tip- 24





2 comments:

  1. Hi Nick - its been great for butterflies hasn't it? Quite a few holly blues about, which is always nice to see, plus brimstones and loads of peacocks. Kev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Kevin, given the situation we are in its been quite enlightening to see so many around, a welcome distraction if you like.
    The weather been very good for April so far, so I would imagine total numbers will be up through opportunities to see them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.