Wednesday 22 January 2020

Sycopacma larseniella- 6th record

Look back at 2019

13th July 2019

Chepstow Park Wood, Devauden


6th county record of Sycopacma larseniella (White-strap Sober)


Continuing with a look back at 2019 season here. The reason is I have only fairly recently had this micro confirmed.
I only spent an hour here at this site due to feeling unwell which was a shame, as I had the impression it could have been quite productive.
The most common species was Rosy Footman at 7, but at the rate they appeared I'm sure they could have reached 15+ easily.
The other really interesting moth that came to my notice just before I packed up, was an small but distinct micro with a white band across it's forewings.
A glance through my book brought on complications for it was part of the Syncopacma group which requires Genitalia Examination.
Three contenders entered the frame in including S. cinctella, S. taeniolella and my hunch, S. larseniella which all feed on Bird's-foot trefoil.
My thanks to Sam Bosanquet who determined by Gen. Det. over the Christmas/New Year period, that this micro was indeed a male Syncopacma larseniella. Although there are other unconfirmed records, this was the 6th county record determined by this procedure, so well worth the 5 month wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.