Tuesday 31 December 2019

Look back at 2019

There was a number of posts I unfortunately did not get around to posting on the Blog from June 2019 onwards so I thought I would recap and give everybody an small insight to what we could find in 2020. Best wishes to everybody for the year ahead by the way.

June 21st 2019

Slade Wood, Highmoor Hill


The afternoon locally saw more sunshine as skies cleared, this situation continuing into the evening when I set out to trap. It was a mostly clear sky with just a few clouds about with temperatures falling away steadily.
The course of the trap saw quite a few species arrive eventually numbering 40.
Of the species I had a nice Purple Clay which I've only seen a few times. Normally a deciduous woodland moth so slightly surprised to see it here but several foodplants do occur around the wood.

Purple Clay

There were two others that I had never seen before, one each of Macro and Micro, but both presumably connected to the Scott's Pine in here.
The macro, being Bordered White was a pleasing find, and something I was hoping to see on my list sooner than later. Given that I'm around some Pine on some traps I think I should have seen it sooner.

Bordered White

An exciting find was this very colourful micro which again feeds on Scott's Pine.
Lozotaeniodes formosana (Orange Pine Tortrix), is fairly common to the southern half of Britain reportedly. Somerset Vice County nearby to the south has several locations for it.
It also appears from a Welsh perspective along the South Wales coastline with less records to the north.
I'm unaware of its distribution in our Vice County 35 though?    

Lozotaeniodes formosana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.