Sunday 28 April 2019

March- April

New sites for Frosted Green

Since my first sightings of Frosted Green back in 2016 I've continued to look for the species presence at new additional sites.
Three more new locations have been discovered this term so far in 2019 bringing my total to 11.
Great Barnet's Wood (No.9) and now recently Cefngarw Wood (No.10) and Woolpitch Wood (No.11) All were a surprise as both contained very few Oaks.


These were low numbers at these locations but confirms their presence. Generally many sites do not have to my experience so far return large numbers, with totals ranging from 1-7.
The exception to this, to my knowledge, is around the Angiddy Valley. This area regularly turns up double figures if your timing is right. This year I had 25 at Ravensnest Wood which confirms its high density here following on from last year when I turned up an record 36.
It is doing exceptionally well here which is great news. Conditions and maintenance of woodland must be a factor along with the number of Oaks that are thriving on the slopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.