Saturday 20 April 2019

Lighthouse park

Only ran the 4 x 30w actinic up to midnight last night as the full moon was brighter than the trap bulb's... 17 moths of 9 species dropped in while I sat out on the patio with it. Iron Prominent and 6 Brimstone Moth were new for the year list. Then I caught sight of a moth fluttering in to settle on the back fence and it was duly potted.. After photographing it I checked the book to see it was what I thought as a Scarce Tissue. Emailed pics to Martin and he confirmed it as the first county record of Scarce Tissue since 1912..
  
Scarce Tissue.

                      Scarce Tissue.
              Scarce Tissue underside
 
Scarce Tissue.


2 comments:

  1. Well done indeed Mel, a very good record. You have turned up some good species down there.
    I was aware of Scarce Tissue being around and was keeping an eye out for it. I was checking the 'Engrialed' moth closely under torchlight, however it's highly unlikely that I will come across it being around woodlands, heathland etc. where I normally operate.

    It feeds on the Barberry shrub which is more likely to be gardens or parks I'm led to believe. If you check out pictures of the shrub online you can see that a few must this in their gardens I would have thought. Perhaps I will conduct a rare trap at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Nick there are a few Berberis shrubs in the gardens around me. Its a wonder I have not recorded it at work as the car park there is full of the stuff.....

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.