Thursday 24 May 2018

This week in Tintern

I let mum borrow a Robinson trap again this year, so she could run it in her garden in Tintern. The last couple of nights have seen some of the more local species visit the garden, including Cloaked Carpet, 3 Little Thorn, Lunar Thorn, Barred Umber, 2 Alder Kitten, Poplar Lutestring and Alder Moth (5 last night alone). Epinotia subocellana was also new for the garden.

Cloaked Carpet
Little Thorn
Lunar Thorn
Alder Kitten
Poplar Lutestring
Alder Moth
Epinotia subocellana

4 comments:

  1. Crumbs, what a lot of high quality moths! Any of those would make my night at Dingestow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty there I've never seen before either, Sam!

      Delete
  2. A nice haul there Steve (Mum).
    I do like the Cloaked Carpet of which I have seen once, and the Alder Moth of which I trapped in a new location the same night.
    Being in a species rich environment like the Wye Valley has its evident benefits with the species shown here for sure but I have been finding that the lesser known woods I visit do throw up some surprises.
    Little Thorn is a bit of an oddity in that its hit and miss around the trap- for example I'm more likely to find it in the daytime than at night lights even though I know it to be present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. Yes, Little Thorn is mostly seen by day, yet it's a regular visitor to the moth trap in her garden. Mum had 3 of them last night.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.