Friday 25 May 2018

A damp morning at MOD Caerwent

Martin and Roger organised a week's access to the Caerwent Range and had 3 wonderful sunny days there from Monday to Wednesday; unfortunately rain arrived on Wednesday night and my visit on Thursday morning was marred by drizzle and wet vegetation.  Sweeping the flower-rich grassland was impossible, and I can't wait to go back on a sunny day as there are bound to be many unrecorded notable species.  Tapping bushes and netting whatever flew out was more productive, and I logged ca20 common spring Micros, although several visits by George Tordoff in May 2016 & 2017 meant that I didn't add much (my only previous visit was in July 2004) - just 7 species were additions to the 69 recorded previously.


Highlights were the exceedingly elusive Spuleria flavicaput, which has just 2 previous VC35 records, Adela (Cauchas) fibulella, Alabonia geoffrella and spinnings of Acleris schalleriana.
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm envious of the Spuleria, a moth I've only seen once and that was many years ago.

    I'm sure you're right that there must be lots more goodies there - I've not done any sweeping at the site and mostly just kept my eyes open for micros while looking for Drab Loopers and skippers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.