Saturday 26 August 2017

13th August

Home Trap disaster, or perhaps not- Chepstow


My first trap at home this year proved to be a bit of a disaster in part.
I blame the weather forecasters, well partly, as the incoming spell of rain was not expected to arrive after 8am BST. An early rise would give me plenty of time to look over the trap, but I'm afraid the rain had already got here by 6.15am and beat me to the moth trap leaving a bit of a mess.
Many moths had took off and departed I'm sure but out of any disappointment there comes a ray of sunshine I believe.
On this occasion three new micro's were new to the site, Pearl Veneer, Brown Knot-horn and Red Cosmet.
The latter two featured were a very nice surprise addition when I downloaded my camera to look through the photographs several days later.
Mompha locupletella (Red Cosmet) is supposedly common Nationally which I find hard to believe because getting hold of one is very difficult given their size.
It likes feeding on Willowherbs which I suppose are quite widespread, upon which I concur wholeheartedly here because they are common in the garden and surrounding area. Quite a beautiful tiny moth when viewed close up.

 Mompha locupletella

Matiella (Pyla) Fusca (Brown Knot-horn) I had seen before at Wentwood amongst heathers higher up on the ridge, but to find it here on my doorstep was a real surprise.
Evidence is apparently emerging that it is adapting to cultivated heathers locally so it could well be along with Sam's recent sighting that it is starting to arrive in urbanised areas lower down and in gardens locally which could contain forms of heather.
It is worth keeping an eye out perhaps if you live and trap in these urbanised areas to see if it appears in your trap! 

Matiella (Pyla) Fusca


1 comment:

  1. Your Chepstow Matilella fusca could well be breeding on heathers in the town, but we have no ericoids in the Dingestow garden and I'm sure mine was a wanderer. My gut feeling is that yours was a wanderer too, unless you start catching it regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.