Wednesday 8 December 2021

Lively Pancalia leuwenhoekella

 Lanmelin Hillfort, Llanvair Discoed

6th and 12th May 2021

A wander through the wood and and around the Hillfort on both the 6th and 12th produced a few daytime sightings. Micropterix tunbergella (Red-barred Gold) was spotted on the Wednesday 12th was nice to see although I have spotted it here before in previous years.

However a visit here on Thursday 6th turned up a couple of Pancalia leuwenhoekella (Violet Cosmet) on the upper ramparts of the fort. They were quite lively in the sunshine and difficult to follow over the foliage but I managed to get photographs eventually. There are not a great deal of records of this micro in the county with a mostly south-east bias of findings so far around 5 sites I think. It was a exciting new micro for me and one I'd like to see again as it's visually quite eye-catching.



I was unaware it had been discovered here at Llanmelin before. This did not distract one little bit from my finding them myself, as if a brand new discovery, for it was in one sense, for me . 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.