Monday 1 March 2021

Ectoedemia decentella and Diurnea lipsiella

 Some County '1st's' from 2020

Chepstow- May 27th

A new micro was recorded for the county today completely unbeknown to me until quite recently when Sam pointed this out to me. Ectoedemia decentella (Sycamore-seed Pigmy) turned up at my light-trap and although it looked interesting in it's bright black and white colours, was indeed new to my site and localised, I really had no idea nobody had registered it in the county. 

Given the micro feeds in seeds of Sycamore it really makes perfect sense for it to be present nearby as there are plenty of Sycamore trees of various sizes just to the south-east of my position here.  

Wentwood- November 11th.

Another potential 1st for the county is another micro that turned up on a warm night in the second week of November. Aptly found in November and named November Tubic- Diurnea lipsiella, this moth feeds around Oaks and Bilberry, so a good, appropriate habitat to discovery this micro here at this site. 

An inconspicuous looking brown micro with a few darker markings doesn't really draw great attention, but I have learned over time that you should not dismiss these features and these moths even if you think they could be common, which I did at first.

All species; as per recent conversation with Sam Bosanquet, are important be it rare or common to build up a list present at sites. It seems with Diurnea lipsiella there is a little question mark as to whether it is a county first or second or other. The late G.A. Neil Horton does not list it in his book 'Monmouthshire Lepidoptera' for a start, so checks may need to made?

It certainly could be the first photographic evidence of the moth existing nonetheless in the county, so I thought I would share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.