Tuesday 8 December 2020

Cave Wood, St. Arvans

 Look back at... July

Cave Wood, St. Arvans (On behalf of GWT)

A somewhat difficult set up, to run a light-trap in this wood just outside St. Arvans. I had been asked earlier in the year if I would be willing and able to gather some information about Lepidoptera around the Piercefield Estate on behalf of the Gwent Wildlife Trust. I had agreed knowing that the logistics were going to be a real problem. Looking over OS maps and working out a solution through a couple of visits on foot I had decided the best way forward would be to start in Cave Wood. This however was still not that easy but, I knew all about 'not-doing-easy' through a couple of other sites that I survey. 

The effort though was worth it with 114 moths of 46 species arriving at the trap site. Top appearance was the Pretty Chalk Carpet moth with 15 individuals, upon which I can't say I have seen quite so many at a given site. They appeared plentiful here. Two important White-line Snout came to the light-trap too. The one photographed here be it a little worn, was an excitement to see. The other was in top condition but escaped when I opened the lid on pot to check.

Another nice macro moth to make a visit for me personally was a Slender Brindle. I have not seen this moth hardly at at all. The last and only previous sighting came at Cleddon Bog in August 2015. This I would probably put down to the lack of traps I have conducted through the months of July and August out in the 'field'. 

I would come across it's presence again a little later on at another 'new' trap-site, but I can't say it seems too common from my experience so far even at favourable sites.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.