Sunday 26 April 2020

Stunning Puss Moth

22 April, Chepstow

Puss Moth, still here


Not huge numbers around my garden trap yet but importantly I'm re-discovering what is frequenting the area after years out in the wilderness, the woodlands, etc.
I've neglected my home site somewhat and only done the odd trap over the last 4-5 years.


After inspecting the area around the trap this morning I decided to do a wander and immediately found a Tachystola acroxantha (Ruddy Streak) siting on the fence.
I first encountered it in the garden in 2015- one week after finding it at Black Rock with Kevin and Richard. It's a regular here, and it turns up with or without a light-trap and occasionally by day or even sometimes inside the house in autumn.
It's reportedly becoming common along the south coast, and is rapidly expanding its range. It's status as 'Local' could change in the near future I suspect.


After this, a further look around took me to the upper tier of the garden. I then saw a large moth 'parked up' on the garden shed, several feet away from the actually trap. It was a Puss Moth.
It was only my second sighting with the first 6 years ago, again in the garden.



Really pleased to know it is still around here, and given that it feeds on Poplars and Willows it fits in well within the habitat here. Never seen the fearsome caterpillar yet though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.