Sunday 1 March 2020

Look Back at 2019

Having another look back at 2019.
This time at the end of June, the final week.

Bridge Street, Chepstow- 26th June 2019

"2nd Record" of Dwarf Cream Wave


Took an early morning stroll through the town of Chepstow when very few people were about, just before 6am in the morning to be precise.
Dry and overcast overnight and quite warm with a low of 15.5c.
There wasn't much about this morning regarding moths which was a surprise. I only found Bee Moth, Common Pug and Eudonia lacustrata around. One other moth appeared on a wall and I initially thought it was an Small Fan-footed Wave with a slight anomaly.
Out with the camera, I took two casual photographs for the record. Further glancing at my photographs a while later as I continued to walk around the town, I began to realise that this small moth had quite a few cross-lines, more than usual and a slight brownish blemish appeared on the tops of the wings- something was not fitting the jigsaw.
Getting back home and looking through my book and on-line, Dwarf Cream Wave fitted the photographs I had. I sent off to Martin Anthoney and he said it was correct and that Vice county 35 had one unconfirmed record that he had been holding back. Having a photograph to back up the record this morning had proved of it's existence in the county.
Unfortunately having just read Martin's newsletters for 2019 I couldn't find the entry (possibly I may have not seen it). I know Martin's extremely busy at that time of year and may have unfortunately overlooked it, so wanted to share the record to the 'moth trapper's' out there, and to prompt people to be vigilant when looking at Small Fan-footed Wave in the future, for 2020.
Strangely the moth is localised at woodland edges, parks and gardens and feeds on dandelion and Knot grass from one report, so should be more frequently found I would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.