Friday 7 June 2019

24th May

Chepstow Park Wood- an unknown quantity


A bit of unknown quantity Chepstow Park Wood I've always thought, you just do not know what to expect from this quite large area of woodland. The wood consists of mainly Coniferous trees although there are 'pockets' of deciduous tree areas in amongst these plus some trees along rides.
It has been undergoing a lot of changes over recent years with removal of the Spruce/ Larch trees leading to more open areas.
Another phase had been taking place over the last few months so I contacted the guy in charge earlier in May to see where I could operate. He suggested a few areas which were out of bounds but said the end of May would be fine all over when the operation would be finished.
So with that info. I placed down the trap at a new spot at the end of the month with an open mind as to what might turn up in this wood.
Map-winged Swift in both forms

My first sightings were at dusk when above bracken danced several moths, these turning out to be Map-winged Swift. I've not seen them here before at this location and according to the distribution maps for V35 nobody else has either- so it looks like a new site.
The Map-winged Swift is one of those amazing moths that do not feed. They have quite an unusual lifestyle where I read that they overwinter underground twice as larvae mainly feeding on bracken roots. So when they emerge in adult form they have undergone a 2 year process.
Map-winged Swift totalled 7 tonight with the form 'gallicus' amongst them.

Marbled Brown
Large female Fox Moth
Deceivingly large Buff-tip

A surprise Marbled Brown arrived also to my delight and the 'heavy gang' turned up as well including my first ever adult Fox Moth. I've seen a few in larval form only.
A quite large moth as moths go and very active for such a large beast. A large Buff-tip turned up too, and as I've never had one arrive whilst I been watching the trap I was struck by how large they are in flight- the tucked up position at rest is deceiving of the moths real size.
Nice fresh Pebble-hook-tip
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.