Sunday 5 May 2019

23rd April

Busy at Cleddon Bog


A good productive evening at Cleddon Bog and the earliest I have visited here to moth trap.
One of the surprise visits to the light-trap tonight was Scarce Prominent (2nd encounter this year), which numbered 2 in total. I think and unbeknown to me, looking at the distribution maps it may have been recorded in this small square but when and where exactly I don't know.
Over 103 moths of 37 species turned up which kept me busy. Many were new to me here at Cleddon Bog simply because of the time of year of my visit.
There were Frosted Green once more at the trap which is starting to suggest that they are well scattered in the county and require just a few surrounding Oak trees to occupy a location because, Oaks are not exactly growing in abundance in this habitat.

 Second site this year for me for Scarce Prominent 
Least Black Arches
 Neofaculta ericetella (Heather Sober)
 Incurvaria pectinea (Pale Feathered Bright)
Semioscopis steinkellneriana (Dawn Flat-body)

Nice to find a few micro's turning up around trap now including these three above:
Neofaculta ericetella was very fresh along with a 'bright' Incurvaria pectinea of which I'm finding quite a few at different locations.
On the other scale this Semiocopis steinkellneriana looked to have been out flying for several weeks viewing it's condition, suggesting a flight season of possibly the end of March beginning of April. Perhaps the mild weather we had earlier had encouraged it out?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.