Wednesday 29 May 2019

16th May

St. Pierre's Great Wood - another Pauper/ Fletcher's Pug!


A good evening once again this time at St. Pierre's woods. 55 moths of 29 species with one 'not identifiable' micro struck off the list. 7 localised, 2 Scarce B and 1 Red Data Book moth all in all.
The Red Data Book moth was once again another Pauper/ Fletcher's Pug and once again I'm sure this would be a new site according to the V35 map. This backs up it's presence away from Wye Valley and joins up Grondra Great Wood not too far from this location.
Pauper/Fletcher's Pug

The other big surprise was the amount of Mocha's that arrived around the trap totalling 6; normally lucky to see 1-2 arrive of a night.
Mocha

More Little Thorn here as Barred Hook-tip which I had previously sighted before, plus a unexpected Great Prominent. The Great Prominent moth is turning up in quite a few places this year for me where I have not seen it before, so quite scattered.
I eventually caught up with a Lime Hawk-moth for which I'm sure was flying around me here last year but I could not get my hands on it to confirm.
Cream Wave
A nice Cream Wave turned up but stayed it's distance in the near vegetation.

A few micro's were about too with Common Slender (Gracillaria syringella),


2x Red-barred Gold (Micropterix tunbergella), 

Plus a brand new encounter for my collection in the form of a Carrion Moth (Monopis weaverella) pictured below. Supposedly common nationally but I can't say I agree given the amount of traps I conducted around the woods where it can potentially lurk, very strange or just bad luck.
Carrion Moth












No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.