Saturday 16 March 2019

Always early to emerge 

Totricodes alternella


One of the first of the micro world to emerge through the latter winter months is the Winter Shade (Totricodes alternella).

I frequently encounter it when travelling around some of the woods in Monmouthshire of a quieter evening from mid February when it seems unlikely much activity would occur at this time of year.
It tends to turn up in reasonable numbers if Oak trees are in the vicinity of your trap. I say Oak because it's other main foodplant is Hornbeam and I don't see this tree too frequently on or about the trap sites I've chosen so far. Other trees do include Hazel which is widespread but I mainly find it close to Oak.

It's quite variable in colour and design and every year when it turns up at the trap it makes me reach for my micro book just to make sure I am looking at this species for they can be quite vivid when freshly emerged leading to doubts in one's mind.
This season for this micro moth is coming to an end possibly, due to a warm end to February perhaps, although I did see one 2 days ago, so they could still be on the wing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.