Thursday 16 August 2018

4th August

Rogiet Moor


A late decision to set a trap up at Rogiet Moor this evening was well worth it.
The evening was fairly quiet weather-wise but it did become damp after midnight.
There were no wading birds on the estuary for the tide was approaching its high point although I did see a flock fly across the waters late evening.
With the moths, a total of 36 species put in an appearance during the time I was there.
Lime-speck Pug, Small Clouded Brindle, Smoky Wainscot and a Small Seraphim were unexpected on the macro side but the micro's drew more interest from my perspective. Some I had only seen once or twice before whilst some were completely new encounters.
Small Seraphim

'Knot-horns' seemed to be flavour of the last 10 days with several turning up at two different sites.
Here three species of Knot-horn were seen including Acrobasis advenella (Grey Knot-horn), a very nice Homoesoma sinuella (Twin-barred Knot-horn), (new to me) and my second encounter with the localised Nephopterix angustella (Spindle Knot-horn). This was really unexpected but there most be spindle in and around the hedges here somewhere.
Homoesoma sinuella (Twin-barred Knot-horn)

A second encounter within 3 weeks of the Scarce B categorised micro Gynnidomorpha alismana (Water-plantain Conch) was great as it backs-up its presence here at this site. This individual was much better marked than the first.
Gynnidomorpha alismana (Water-plantain Conch)

The best of the lot was a micro that nearly got thrown into the re-cycle bin on my computer as I had not much idea. I had a think about it and ultimately decided to have a play with light levels on the photograph to reveal better detail, Thankfully enough detail came through for me to put forward a suggestion. Suffice to say my suggestion wasn't correct but in a way I'm glad it wasn't, for Sam got in touch to inform me that it was Phalonidia affinitana (Large Saltmarsh Conch).
The second line of the mail was rather interesting...Only one other sighting at Peterstone in 1998 by Sam himself, so nearly a generation has come and gone before anybody has seen it again.
A very productive and rewarding night all in all with a rarely seen micro in Gwent the icing on the cake.  
Phalonidia affinitana (Large Saltmarsh Conch) 
2nd ever sighting in Vice county 35 with a 20 year gap in the records database. 


2 comments:

  1. well done Nick - I'm guessing affinitana will be widespread along the estuary as I caught several at Peterstone that day in 1998. I'm actually more excited about your two records of alismana, because the only previous county record of that one was from Magor Marsh in 1979.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam.
    Crickey an even better few visits to this site than I thought. I had no idea about G. alismana because you never mentioned its status in the county until now. I was under the impression it was quite frequent along the coastal belt of Gwent. A very pleasant, satisfactory, surprise indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.