Sunday 10 June 2018

1st June

Rogiet- A Coastal Experience


Thought I would take a change of scenery this evening from the normal woodland pursuits and go on a rare coastal experience.
I was a bit nervous as to what to expect but it all proved very much worth it despite a coastal breeze for the early part of the evening.
My home site is quite similar when I think about being not too far away from the influences of the River Wye and Severn Estuary so I should not have been too worried.
A reasonable turn out produced numerous quantities of Flame shoulder and Common Swift which would seemingly take a age to settle down if at all.
I seem to having quite a few Hawk moths turn up at my trap this year which is unprecedented for me and tonight was no exception. An enormous Poplar Hawk-moth literally 'thumped' its way down on the sheet after doing a 360 degree survey of the light. It's one of our largest moths I read although I initially thought a large bat had intervened at first but this proved thankfully otherwise.
A nice Peach Blossom (I always enjoy seeing these) turned up along with some expected coastal moth species including Common Wainscot (although generally widespread), and a female Small China-mark.
Two others especially caught my eye. These were the stunning looking Cream-spot Tiger and what I think might be Dog's Tooth pictured directly above in more 'dressed-down' attire.
Both I believe would be new to this site.
I'm going to get this confirmed but if anybody would like to pass comment on what they it is, they are most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.