Saturday 21 October 2017

Thankyou Brian

Having missed out on Vestal-fest on 18th October, I hoped that the strong southerly winds coming in with the forward edge of Storm Brian might bring me a migrant or two.  Checking the trap at 07:00 was disappointing, with 9 resident species and nothing more noteworthy than a Pinion-streaked Snout.  Much later, at 13:00, I noticed an Angle Shades on the lawn next to where I had trapped; a closer look revealed a pristine Scarce Bordered Straw sitting next to it!


 
My first Scarce Bordered Straw at Dingestow in 2003 was also new for Gwent.  How things have changed - this is now an expected autumn visitor to the county, albeit an exciting one to see.  Last night's was my 5th here, following one in 2003, two in 2006 and one in 2016.

1 comment:

  1. That's nice Sam, the Scarce Bordered Straw. Never seen it yet only its close relative Bordered Straw.
    I've had a steady flow of Silver Y, an odd Rusty Dot Pearl, some Angle Shades, a couple of Pale Mottled Willow and last week had my 1st immigrant Gem.
    Did have a Vestal in August which was nice.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.