Sunday 8 January 2017

December 2016 sightings

A bit belated post but thought I would continue the recent theme of micro's and keep the interest alive over the quieter coming weeks- further posts will follow.

Newhouse, Chepstow
3rd December 2016

With my interest in micro's taking on a new direction in the form of leaf mining, at the latter part of the year, I thought I would have a wonder around my local patch, choosing Newhouse Industrial Estate on the outskirts of the town.
You would not think it would offer much but some areas have a few trees and shrubs dotted mainly around the outer periphery of the buildings and units.
To my surprise I found several leaf-mines amongst the greenery. Many micro's of the 'common type' were discovered, however two Sam Bosanquet found quite important.
Thanks to Sam's help on identification, I managed turned up Stigmella alnetella (Silver-barred Alder Pigmy) and a rare county record for Ectoedemia intimella (Black-spot Sallow Pigmy.
This was only the 3rd Vice county record for this latter mentioned micro species upon which I've decided to feature below with a couple of photographs.


Individual Sallow leaf above with a now 'blackened' area developing where mining has taken place.

A close up of the blotch mine along with a resident larvae in the photograph below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.