Thursday 23 April 2015

Imperial Park

The security lights at work have been bringing in a few moths this week while i've been working the night shift. Last night 22/4 I was out on my usual coffee break walk around the factory checking for moths under the lights,when i noticed a moth flying around under one of them.As it came lower i could clearly see it was a Emperor Moth. Pot at the ready to pot & photograph my first ever Emperor and "BANG" a bat snatched it from 10 feet beyond my reach. I was was totally "gob smacked" to see this happen at such close quarters. The only thing left was the moths wing which fluttered down & landed at my feet.
Also potted my first Buff Tip of the year & the 7th county record of Mompha epilobiella.
Emperor Moth wing
                       
Buff Tip

3 comments:

  1. Amazing story Melvin! I may have missed it in the past, but where is your place of work, not that I intend to visit :-) just out of interest.
    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work is just 2 miles up the road from home Mark on the Wentlooge levels Newport

      Delete
  2. Hi Melvin,
    I hope you don't mind me messaging you but i've just spotted you caught a buff-tip moth recently. I work for the BBC Natural History Unit and we were hoping to film a buff-tip moth tomorrow in the Bristol. Is there any chance that you have trapped another since? Or any chance you might be able to capture one if there are any about in your area still? I look forward to your response. I've sent you my email address in a hangout message.
    Kind regards,
    Victoria Buckley

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.